Skip to main content

Tips and Information for Constituents Experiencing Unemployment Issues

Tips and Information from the Office of Senator Paula Hicks-Hudson
March 15, 2024
Paula Hicks-Hudson News

Dear Neighbors,

I am aware that many members of our community are facing frustrating issues with Ohio’s Unemployment system at this time. From those who have been impacted by the unexpected terminations by Stellantis to the thousands who’ve received letters demanding repayment of Pandemic Unemployment Assistance.  These unexpected issues can be difficult to understand and add additional stress to people just looking to keep providing for their families.

From lengthy phone wait times to confusing documents, my office is ready to help navigate any issues or pitfalls you may encounter with Ohio’s unemployment system. Please do not hesitate to contact my office by phone at (614) 466-5204 or by email at Hicks-Hudson@ohiosenate.gov.  

We have put together some useful tips and information to help you get started. If you have received a letter stating that you owe money from an overpayment-related fraud, please contact Unemployment as soon as possible to start an appeal.  My staff is ready to help you work with ODJFS to resolve this issue. 

If you have lost your job and need to apply for Unemployment:

  • You can go online anytime at https://unemployment.ohio.gov/ or call 1-877-644-6562 Monday through Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM. Phone wait times are long You may wish to wait you may opt into the call back queue rather than holding. Call backs will likely take several hours; you don’t want to miss or ignore the call.
  • You will need an OHID number to apply online and access your account. If you don’t have one, you can register on the Unemployment website (https://unemployment.ohio.gov/) as you’re setting up or accessing your account. 

Have the following information ready when you apply:

  • Social Security number, driver’s license (or state ID) number, Social Security numbers and dates of birth of any dependents, including children and your spouse.
  • The name, address, telephone number, and dates of employment for your most recent employer and any other employers from the last 6 weeks. 
  • Bank routing and account number or debit card number for payment. If you choose direct deposit, your bank must have a physical office in Ohio. This is because of a new state law. You can also choose to receive a prepaid debit card from US Bank.
  • Alien Registration Number and expiration date of your work authorization. 
  • If you had out-of-state employment, have worked for the federal government, or are separated from military service, more information is required, including: Form DD-214, member 4 copy (for military service) SF-8 or SF-50 form (for federal government employment)

Please, if you need assistance, don’t wait and struggle on your own, we work for you and are here to help.


State Senator Paula Hicks-Hudson